Worth it.

0 Comments
Found this "draft" in my blog posts that I had forgotten to post a couple of week ago:

Saw couples of all ages in the park today.  From young anxious excitement that comes with a new relationship to seasoned love that accompanies the tender looks between a man and his wife of 10+ years.  The most tender of couples sat on a bench in the middle of the park.  The husband was sitting on the bench and the wife in a wheelchair.  It didn't look like she could help herself in any way, but the way her husband took care of her stopped me.  I couldn't help but longingly gaze.  Moved by such tender love.  Not that I don't experience such looks in my marriage now, but just the hope that Lord willing we make it to be old together and that our love will look like this one day.  Here was an example of pure selfless love.  The type of love that is rarely seen in our day and age of "It's all about me."  Not only was this man taking full care of his wife, feeding her, cleaning her up, rearranging her blanket, but there was no hint that he considered this a burden.  No groans, no looks of irritation or impatience, just love.  He was caring for her and looking at her with such selfless love and her returning his gaze, that it started to bring tears to my eyes.  I began to think about my marriage and consider how often I treated my husband with such selfless love like Christ calls me to.  It's shameful and humbling how I fail.  My mind just kept running over all the times something called my attention away from my husband and how I put my needs before his.  How many times could I say that I was selfless.  And not selfless in a way to look good, or for validity, or to be able to count on a piece of paper all the times, but truly out of selflessness.  Would someone in my position, a passerby, be able to identify this type of love just by a glance at my interactions with my husband?  It's a lot to think about.  It's humbling for sure and made me determined to be more selfless.  When I came back from my thoughts, I found myself still gazing at the couple.  I hadn't moved, but the only difference now was that they were both returning my gaze.  They were smiling at me.  Almost as if they knew what I had been thinking and telling me "It's worth it."


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.