Berlin Day 1 and 2 in Pictures

0 Comments
I apologize in advance for the length of this post. It's massive and I have four more days worth of photos to edit and post.

This post contains photos taken on the day we arrived in Berlin and on Monday when we were able to wander around a bit before he had to head off to do some work. :) I hope you don't mind some of my architectural shots mixed in with the others. We rented a wide angle lens and I was having fun!

This is Alexanderplatz, the main hub for the Underground, S-Bahn, Tram, Buses, and Trains. What you see in the middle of the picture is the world clock. It was pretty awesome seeing all major cities!

The TV tower. Sort of like the Space Needle.


The street signs in another major transportation hub we passed through daily.

Standing in front of the Brandenburg Gate. The former city gate.

These bicycles were all over the city. They were so strange, but looked like fun!

Playing with exposure at the Brandenburg Gate

Kebab stands are nothing compared to Currywurst stands!

Architecture!

The Reichstag Building

Pretty impressive building

Right in the middle of the city is the huge Tiergarten. It's such a quiet relaxing urban park. The park was originally used as hunting grounds for the Electors of Brandenburg in the 1830's, and then in 1944 was almost completely deforested and used as firewood for the devastated city.


Because the city was bombed during WWII, most of the architecture is very new and modern. Great for architectural shots

Texture

This is the Berliner Philharmonic Building. Very contemporary 




In the middle of Postdamerplatz was the Legoland Discovery Center and outside of it was this huge at least 10ft tall lego giraff. His head is part of the architectural skyline!

This is the Sony Center. It's a very impressive building and open area. They host many events here including movie premiers, world cup matches that are televised live, and concerts.



Another architectural shot, sorry!

All throughout the city were remnants of the Berlin wall

We went to the site of Hitler's Bunker, but all there is now is just a parking lot and this sign


This is the Holocaust Memorial. It took 17 years to plan.




Vespas everywhere!

Checkpoint Charlie recieved it's name by Western Allies for the best known Berlin Wall crossing between East and West Berlin during the Cold War. American and Soviet tanks briefly faced off here during the Berlin Crisis in 1961!







We traveled the underground the whole trip!



They had a Stasi exhibit that we wished we could have seen while there, but didn't have enough time!

I wandered around for a bit before heading to the Typography des Terrors Exhibit


The Typography des Terrors Exhibit was so informative and so devastating at the same time. What you see here is pictures and other articles walking you through 1933-1945

So awful. 


Parts of the Berlin Wall. I found this shot interesting because I was able to see how tall the wall was in comparison to average human height. 


The Exhibit inside was just as compelling as the one outside. Their special exhibit was on the medical experimentation done on children. It was hard reading about the things done. I have pretty much read all that I could growing up, but I will never become numb to the shock of such atrocities. 


Architecture


More Berlin Wall



There were lots of very neat and modern buildings







The water pipes are above ground!


Postdamerplatz






More bits of the Berlin Wall

This was pretty cool. They have laid brick into the current roads and sidewalks to show where the wall used to run.


Something else that I noticed was how much graffiti there was ALL over the city


A beautiful church I discovered on one of my wanderings

Graffiti and gum covered piece of Berlin Wall


Architectural shots under the Tram



Some graffiti artists are really good

The Oberbaumbrucke Bridge unites Friedrichschain and Kreuzburg which were formally divided by the Berlin Wall. It's a historic landmark showing Germany's unification. 






The following pictures are of the East Side Gallery, the longest remaining portion of the Berlin Wall. 

















Signs like these were all over the city

These are supposedly called "Love Locks." I'm not sure why they are there, but it made an interesting shot. :)

I hope you enjoyed the photos so far. My tour of Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp photos are next and I hope to have them up tonight. Keep an eye out!


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.