Potsdam and the Zoo

0 Comments
On Thursday of our week in Germany, we decided to head to the scenic town of Potsdam where many of the palaces were that were built by Frederick the Great. It was a great day with beautiful weather. :)

We saw this building and thought, "palace!" But rather we found out it was the servants quarters to the even larger palace. Not bad for servants, eh?

This is the new palace built by Frederick the Great in 1763 at the end of the Seven Years War and is considered the last great Prussian baroque palace. After the war, Frederick had this palace built as a present to himself, but ended up going bankrupt before it was finished and therefore never lived here. 






Proof I was there


The color of the palace was so vibrant


The park surrounding the palace was amazing. I couldn't help but stand in awe that this was someones yard at one point. Can you imagine?


Um, can you say totally awesome gazebo?! 


It was so huge and wasn't blocked off so you could wander around it!







We had a yummy lunch while there.

This is the Orangery built by Friedrich Wilhelm IV

Loved this girl's expression





The grounds here are so lovely




Statue of Friedrich Wilhelm IV








On Friday I decided to check out the Berlin Zoo and was able to get a few good shots of the animals. I was the 4th person in line and no one else was behind me. It was nice since I was there first thing in the morning, no one was there and the animals were all out waiting for breakfast!



Cool horns


The landscape is super nice!

Not even the San Diego Zoo has a water fountain

The next two pictures are slightly grainy as it was so dark where these little guys were


These are the strangest looking monkeys ever!



Breakfast!



Grooming time

This guy was right next to the glass. I sat there for quite a time with each of us looking at each other.

Love this shot

The orangutan. 


The giraffs spots were so beautiful!


This massive guy was zonked out


I swear this is not the desert cat they say it is. I think they just found a stray cat and called it a desert cat!

This was pretty cool. The tiger was really active and you could be so close!


Here, a tall man with a cowboy hat caught his eye. 


This was his reaction as the tall man with the cowboy hat came closer to his cage!


Cute snow dogs!


I just love how this kangaroo is hanging out



Hope you enjoyed the shots!


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.