Thoughts on Munich.

1 Comments
Oh, Munich. The city that never seems to sleep. We've only been here just over a month and I already have a love/hate relationship with our neighborhood. When I say the city that never seems to sleep, I mean it never seems to sleep when normal people do! I love how during the day there is always something going on. Shops throw open their doors with friendly invitations to ogle over the little treasures inside, coffee shops full of lively chatter about the days happenings, and everyone really seems to be enjoying themselves. I love this aspect of Maxvorstadt. The hate relationship begins around 10pm when everyone seems to have had 10 red bull energy drinks and the noise level (from our dorm especially) resembles a hard core rock concert. This is really the only complaint I have and to be honest, it's not really that bad. I've just become accustomed to sleepy old Basel and seriously think I've turned into a 70 year old lady who wants to yell at the youngsters to keep it down. :) I mean, I prefer to act civilized and get a good nights rest, and not as though Barney the dinosaur on steroids has taken over my body while running up and down four flights of stairs. That's just me though. ;)

Anywho, on to life. About once a week I venture out to experience our local coffee shop scene. So far, I have found one place just around the corner that makes a mean cappuccino! I'm a sugar and cream type of girl, but the barista on Monday mornings makes a perfect cappuccino that requires nothing. Just the enjoyment of the pure taste of espresso and foam. :) The place is called Giulia and they have a very modern vibe. It's hardly ever busy and the chill atmosphere makes it perfect for creative thinking.  



The other day while running some errands, I spotted this cute cafe called Cuccuma. It has an old fashioned feel to it. I didn't have time to sit down and take in the general atmosphere, but the two take away Chai Tea Latte's I ordered for myself and the hubby were pretty delicious!


On a different note, we have slowly been getting to know some of the people who live on our floor. Following my friendship offering of sugar cookies, one of the girls invited us to come along with some other people from our floor to the outdoor cinema! It was pretty cool. They lit fireworks off before the movie began and the screen was huge. It was a great casual opportunity to get to know some of the other youngsters (we're at least 7 years older than most of them) and practice our German speaking skills. Let's just say the hubby did just fine and he did a lot of interpreting for me. ;)


Apparently, so far we've been blessed with great warm weather everywhere we've moved. Seriously! When we moved to Oxford, everyone said it was an unusual heat wave. Same thing in Basel. Now here in Munich, it's in the 90's! I don't know what's up with that! But it definitely has called for some pit stops to get refreshments while out and about. I love how the barista spelled our last name. I've seen many people spell it in different ways, but this one is the first. 

Thoughts about the underground system. Well, for starters is a very quick albeit an expensive (if you don't have the monthly/yearly pass) way to get from A to B. The underground system reminds me of a rat maze where you seem to wander around looking for your next connection, run into closed passage ways, have to find your way back to your starting point, all while working around the huge throngs of people on their way to work. Fun. :) I have found that you have to be an assertive rider if you want to survive. No body waits for you, everyone pushes you, and it's everyone for themselves most of the time!

Accompanying the heat wave has been nightly thunder and lightning storms. While, it offers great relief from the days heat, it also just makes the humidity even worse!

 




The hubby is very busy these days at the Bavarian State Library productively plowing away at his thesis. I just am in awe of what this man can do. So inspiring!

I have found someone here in the building to help me with my German. It actually works out better than a tandem where we speak German for an hour and then English for an hour because basically I go sit in the community kitchen once a week and everyone just asks me questions in German. It's very overwhelming and a truly humbling experience, but everyone is so nice and understands how limited I am. No one has made me feel like I'm a nuisance which is good because that's how I feel!













You may also like

1 comment:

Buhrmaster said...

Great post, Jess!! I love your writing style. You make me feel as if I am right there with you, experiencing all the same sights, textures, sounds, smells....Love that!

Glad you are getting to know the area & the people a bit more. And we all know the Lord loves to bless us - He's given you the great So. Cali weather wherever you've gone. :)

Powered by Blogger.