Market Day

1 Comments
It's market day and Domplatz is buzzing with eager farmers, florists, and butchers all ready for surely yet another profitable day of bartering. It's quiet for now with only a few people besides myself strolling along smelling the sweet ripe fruits, the beautiful blooms, and freshly baked bread. The pride these farmers have in their bountiful stock is contagious. I couldn't help but smile as a sweet older lady packed up fresh eggs for a customer and handed them over with pride. Two weeks ago it was weise Spargel (white asparagus) season and now it is all about the Erdbeere (strawberry) and Erdbeere jam. Bundles and crates of berries decorate each stand, tempting everyone who walks by to take one. Everyone seems to be in good spirits. Lots of pleasantries are exchanged along with laughter and smiles. I love the sense of community a farmers market brings to the locals. Here we are all coming together to support the hard labor these farmers have put in to be successful. After all that hard work, they get to sit back and enjoy the fruits of their labors. Green and white striped tent tops, wicker baskets, sunshine, and high spirits all under the shadow of the beautiful Dome make for a perfect market day. 


You may also like

1 comment:

Buhrmaster said...

Ahhh the everlovable erdbeere! I think we box-store shoppers need to take a page from these marketeers. I love your descriptions - makes my mouth water....

Powered by Blogger.